Award in Intraoral Scanning
This programme is suitable for registered dental care professionals who are working clinically, who wish to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills in order to work as a dental nurse with additional duties.
Students undertaking the programme must complete a short online induction after which all learning will be carried out on our virtual e-learning platform.
Study is part guided and part self-directed and students have a maximum of 18 weeks to complete the Award programme.
This qualification is awarded by Dental Team Qualifications (DTQ). The DTQ assessments are all e-based assessments carried out in a controlled environment.
Students are required to maintain an activity log, and development plan, both of which are available within OTT’s e-learning environment.
Who is the programme aimed towards?
The Award in Intraoral Scanning is aimed at all Registered Dental Care Professionals who would like to learn more about and carry out intraoral scanning.
What is the area of study?
The following units of study make up the Award:
- Law, Ethics and Professionalism
- Health and Safety and Infection Prevention and Control In Dentistry
- Medical Emergencies
- Clinical Records, Including intra-oral scans
- Anatomical structures relating to intra-oral scanning
- Occlusion and Its Registration
- Clinical Patient Management, Communication Skills And intra-oral scanning
- Digital technology – image creation and manipulation
- Trimming and orientation of digital images
- Laboratory communication with digital images
What makes this intraoral scanning course different?
- No additional costs; assessment fees are included
- Blended style learning - online, interactive and face-to-face with direct tutor support
- Practical workshop included for hands-on training
- Electronic portfolio submission
- Delivered by a Specialist-led Orthodontic team – we practice what we teach and teach what we practice!
How is the programme delivered?
All units are delivered online using our e-learning environment. Students are guided and supported by a Tutor/Mentor. Optional hands-on sessions at one of our centres, or in-house, are available on request. Please contact us for further information.
How is the qualification assessed?
The students’ knowledge, understanding and skills are assessed by the completion of a number of assessments on their virtual e-portfolio. These e-assessments take a variety of styles, which ensure that all units of study are assessed fairly and proportionately.
Students have three attempts at each e-assessment. The e-assessments are carried out in a controlled environment and submitted using the e-learning platform.
How long will the programme take?
Students are given up to 16-weeks to complete the study and then a further 2 weeks to complete and submit their e-assessments.
This equates to approximately 5-6 hours of study per week.
By the end of this course dental care professionals will be able to:
- Describe Law, ethics and professionalism
- Describe Health and Safety, Infection Prevention and Control and Medical Emergencies
- Describe anatomical structures relating to the taking of intra-oral scans
- Discuss the various procedures that are involved in intra-oral scanning
- Implement the safe taking of dental intra-oral scans
- Produce contemporaneous clinical records, including the basing and occluding of digital models
How much does the programme cost?
The course fee is £125.00
What is included in the cost?
- E-Learning registration
- Practical Workshop
Fees are non-refundable
In the event of an unsuccessful first assessment attempt, there is a £25 fee for each e-assignment re sit.Apply Now